Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Retiring to a quiet place


My reading in Luke chapter 10 brought me to my personal favorite in Scripture, Mary the sister of Martha.  The New Living Translation 1st edition renders it, As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a village where a woman named Martha welcomed them into her home.  Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord's feet listening to what He taught.  But Martha was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing,  She came to Jesus and said, "Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work?  Tell her to come and help me."  
But the Lord said to her, "My dear Martha, you are so upset over all these details!  There is really only one thing worth being concerned about.  Mary has discovered it--and I won't take it away from her."


It is no surprise to those who know me that I have a Mary heart.  Martha was a wonderful hostess- she perhaps had the gift of hospitality.  Look what she did:  She welcomed Jesus and the disciples into her home.  She busied herself with all the preparations necessary to care for her guests.  How about you?  Have you welcomed Jesus into your home, into your heart?  And now that He is there are you busy with all sorts of things trying to make Him feel welcome?

Mary dropped everything else to sit at Jesus feet and listen to His word.  And we are told that this was the better choice.  This was a choice that Jesus was not going to take away from her.  We are not told what Martha did at this point.  Did she join Mary at Jesus feet or continue her preparations, perhaps with an unhappy heart?  I like to think she joined Mary, but we just do not know.

I have a list of prayer requests "a mile long."  Praying for others is a good thing.  This morning I am gently nudged by the Lord to remember the better thing.  To listen to His Word.  I start there before I do any praying.  There is so much left for me to learn if I am going to be the woman God wants me to be.  Even Jesus understood the need to go to a quiet place and we have the record of Him doing so on several occasions.  How can I possibly think I can do anything less and be successful in my own work?

Grace, Peace, and Mercy,
Deb

No comments: