Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Study, Meditate, Obey

I have moved into the book of Joshua for my Old Testament reading.  The LORD had some instruction for Joshua as he stepped into the role of leader of Israel after Moses' death.  These words in particular caught my attention, "Study this Book of the Law continually.  Meditate on it day and  night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it.  Only then will you succeed.  I command you-be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:8-9, NLT1

I am convinced that those instructions are not obsolete.  Yes we have pastors who preach, books that teach, seminars and conferences that inspire and equip, but there is no replacement for spending time studying The Book.  I wish I could share with you the wonderful things I have heard from the women in my Bible Study group-for some this is the first time to study it for themselves and they are excited.
Notice that word "continually" in these verses?  We have to pick it up over and over and read it for ourselves.  Once a week just won't cut it.  One of the wonderful benefits we have in Christ is that the Holy Spirit is right there with us and He can illuminate God's Word for us as we read.  What an amazing gift!  What an incredible resource!  We don't have to wonder how to live in this world, God has laid it out plainly for us all to see.  We don't have to wonder who to believe, God is the source of all truth.  If you have followed my writing for very long you have heard me say it over and over again, my greatest desire in writing is that you will be inspired to pick up this precious gift we have, God's Word, and spend time with Him there.  I am here to cheer you on!

Grace, Peace, and Mercy,
Deb

15 comments:

Visits With Mary said...

I agree we should stay in God's word continually. I truly believe scripture is our road map through this journey we call life...I really enjoyed your message today. :)

Debra Davis said...

Thank you, Mary. I appreciate your comments and supportive words.

Blessings,
Deb

Rachel said...

An important reminder :). Thank you Debra!

Tereasa said...

Popping in after seeing your comment on the Allume blog. Yes, it is a sweet gift to be in God's Word. I always enjoying meeting those who enjoy it!

Mary @ The Mommy Job said...

I'm also here after seeing you at the Allume blog :) I'm a visual person and I have found it helpful to have the Word displayed around our home for quick reminders of God's love- beautiful post!

Stephanie said...

I try to set aside time in my morning and read God's word with my journal and hot cup of coffee. By putting it on my to do list, it's more likely to happen. And I am so amazed at how I can read a story for the 100th time (or so it seems!) and gain a new understanding of it time and time again!

Stephanie said...

Do you put Scripture on note cards or index cards to display around the house? I want more of God's word displayed visually in my home. I have seen those scripture "stickers" that you can put on the wall, but we are renting and I am afraid to damage the walls1

Debra Davis said...

Stephanie, one of the tricks I have done is to use a dry erase marker on mirrors- bathrooms and entryway, I even have combined my love of stamping and framed them to hang on the wall- Maybe I should post a photo in a future post.

Debra Davis said...

Yes, or think that wasn't really in there last time I read this. God's Word really is a living thing, the same words speak to us in different ways at different times in our lives. Thanks for stopping by and sharing!
Blessings,
Deb

Debra Davis said...

Yes, Mary, I think it is important to "hide" God's Word in our homes, not just our hearts.

Debra Davis said...

Thanks for stopping by Tereasa- same here!

Debra Davis said...

I am so glad you stopped by Rachel.

Debra Davis said...

Thank you, Ashley- I enjoyed yours as well.

Jessica White said...

There's definitely a difference between hearing others interpret and describe things, whether it's the Bible or a sunset, and experiencing those things for yourself, first hand.

{Here via Allume Blog}

Debra Davis said...

Agreed! Thanks for stopping by Jess.

Blessings,
deb