Monday, October 11, 2010

Children of the King

Last week our zoo provided us with our first look at lion cubs.  I filled my camera's memory with photos of them on Friday.  These adorable cubs are children of the king of the jungle.  I am a child of the King of the universe.  But as many as received Him (Jesus Christ) to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.  -John 1:12 NKJV




I have been thinking a lot lately about what this means.  To be a child of God.  A daughter of the King.  Wondering how I am doing as a representative of his household when I step out the door.  One thing is very clear, He has a lot of work yet to do on this child.  Rebellious, forgetful, reluctant to submit, selfish, and full of pride--one who finds herself listening to the voice of the enemy far too often.  And what is that voice trying to tell me?  That I am worthless.


This morning I am listening to that other voice.  The One who loves me and has lavished His grace upon me.  I am of such supreme value to Him that He sent His Son to earth to die in my place.  To grant us that we, being delivered from the hand of our enemies, might serve Him without fear, in holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life. -Luke 1:74-75  That voice that says I am worthless- that is from the enemy and God has delivered me from out of his hand.  I can serve the Lord without fear- which for someone like me is an incredible thing.


I find myself wanting to make Mary's response to God when she was told she would carry the Savior my daily prayer.   "Behold the maidservant of the LORD!  Let it be to me according to Your word."   The angel had just told her that nothing will be impossible for God.  That has not changed.  He can take a girl like me and make me a child who will bring honor to His name.  He can take a girl who is frightfully shy and cause her to come boldly before His throne.  He can take all of my sin and shame and replace them with grace and truth.  I am a child of the King!

No comments: