Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Delights of Discipline


I just cannot escape that word-discipline.  I need it to stick with my morning quiet time.  I need it to stick with my get fit plan.  I need it to make progress on my UFO's.  I even need it to stay on top of the laundry.    But it's not a dirty word if I focus on the benefits, the joy that results in being disciplined.

Starting my day in the word and prayer is such a blessing.  This morning I spent some time wrestling with those verses about "if two of you on earth agree concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19-NKJV)  Well, I have had a whopper on my mind since last night, and I know that there are even more than two of us who are in agreement.  But when word comes that cancer has taken over someone's body...I pray but do I really believe?  Wrapped up in all of this is the will of God, and I sometimes use that to whimp out when I bring my requests before the Lord.  This morning I came asking for help with my unbelief, for Him to reveal anything that might hinder my prayers, and that I would have wisdom to know if I am asking amiss.  I know He can do incredible things when His people pray and I want to be a part of that.  More than that however is that when I wrestle with these things I am drawn closer to the Lord, I get to know Him even more as I seek to be serious about my prayers.  I also read in Luke the parable of the widow who keeps coming to the judge about her case.  Jesus told this parable to teach "that men (and women) always ought to pray and not lose heart." (Luke 18:1, NKJV)  So I press on.

This week was the beginning of Leslie Sansone's 21 day walk at home challenge.  Discipline.  So far so good.  My body tried to be a little rebellious yesterday but was feeling good after the end of a two mile walk.  It surprises me how energizing this step is to my whole day.  And if you are not familiar with the Walk at Home method--it is not your ordinary walk, which makes it a whole lot more fun than hopping on the treadmill.

As for my quilting- I love the encouragement I am getting from a special group of women to tackle those UFO's.  It feels wonderful to be able to share the accomplishments.



This is my version of a Rail Fence.  I have a couple of borders to add and then it will be ready for quilting.

Today I am setting up my machine for quilting and will start with the Debbie Fields chickadee table runner.  I picked up this great Maywood Studios fabric on sale and it will be perfect for the back of my Harvest Time quilt.
purple with pumpkins!

So I am off to walk and quilt, and looking forward to the results of being disciplined about it.

No comments: