Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Alabaster Jar


My New Testament reading brought me to one of my favorite people in the Bible this morning, Mary.  Matthew recounts the incident this way: "Meanwhile, Jesus was in Bethany at the home of Simon, a man who had leprosy.  During supper, a woman came in with an alabaster jar of expensive perfume and poured it over his head.  The disciples were indignant when they saw this. 'What a waste of money,' they said.  'She could have sold it for a fortune and given the money to the poor.'  But Jesus replied, 'Why berate her for doing such a good thing to me?'" -Matt. 26:6-10, NLT1

In other accounts we learn that this was the same Mary who sat at Jesus feet and listened to His word while her sister Martha was busy with many things.  Jesus states in John's account, that Mary was anointing Him for burial.  No one else around Jesus seemed to get what was about to happen, and I maintain that Mary understood because of the time she spent sitting at Jesus feet.

Now let's look at what she did.  She used a very expensive perfume, one that according to John 12:5 was worth a years wages.  Consider that for a moment.  At minimum wage that would be in the neighborhood of 10,000 dollars in the US.  I cannot help but ask myself, how much is Jesus worth to me?  When I set the priorities of my day do I listen to the world around me, a world that does not "get" devotion to Jesus?  What is the value I place on my money, my time, my possessions; and am I willing to give them all to Jesus?  Just how much is Jesus worth to me?


Grace, Peace, and Mercy,
Deb

No comments: