Thursday, November 17, 2011

In Need of a Little Restoration

This week I decided it was time to tackle the cabinets in the kitchen and baths.  The finish was getting pretty worn and we had been talking for awhile about what to do.  I came across a product a couple of years ago at an antique shop and decided this just might be the ticket.


Before
After
Howard's Restore-A-Finish.  No need to strip off the old, just apply to fine steel wool and work it in.  (I forgot to take a before photo in the master bath so the before is actually the guest bath which was in better shape.)








What I love about this process is that I am not removing the "good" part of the finish, But restoring and improving where there were flaws.  I thought about that idea when I was considering my Bible reading for today.  I came across a new study method this week and have been employing it for my morning devotional time.  http://www.goodmorninggirls.org/2011/09/week-1-intro-to-i-john-11-4/  Courtney is well into her study of 1 John so I jumped in with where I am at in my study of Romans and it has added a spark of new life to my quiet time.

I have been contemplating the later half of Romans 14 this week.  Today's verses were 22 -23: "The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God.  Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.  But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin."
Now there was a lot of previous material this week which has led me to today's thoughts.  It is not just about what to eat and drinking wine; the last thought from yesterday was the later half of verse 21 "or to do anything by which your brother stumbles."  That got me thinking out of the box of food and drink.  What are the things I "approve?"  My faith and my doubts about the things I do either condemn me or approve me before God.  That thought puts a whole new twist on the idea of guilty pleasures.  How many things do I do each day that I have already convicted myself about yet I go ahead and make excuses to continue in them?  It was a humble prayer time that followed my contemplation.  During that time I thought about the cabinets I am working on.  My daily time in the Word and prayer are like the Restore-A-Finish.  God created something good when He created me and sin has messed me up a bit.  I need a little rubbing out here, a little color there, and some protective coating to make me shine.  I need to spend some more time with Him figuring out what things I will approve of.  Notice I said spend time with God figuring that out.  I am too good at deceiving myself.  So here I sit this morning looking forward to a little Restore-A -Finish God's way.  I want my life to shine and not be a stumbling block for others.  I am not afraid of the process because I know how great is the Lord's love for me.  Letting Him work in my life will only accomplish the good I desire.
First of a quilt block I designed for a baby quilt project



1 comment:

GrammaGrits said...

Deb, good morning and blessings to you for posting again. I've missed you and your words!

We have all the family for Thanksgiving this year, so we're looking forward to that time together.

Greet Ken, Jeff and Matthew for us! Would love to see the finished children's quilt - love the square you showed!