Monday, November 21, 2011

Taking Action!

I am taking action today.  Up early for my quiet time.  Started on Monday chores around the house.  Sent out the prayer list email.  Made a plan for some quilt work to get done today.  Now I am writing.  I am still about an hour behind where I would like to be, but today I am taking action.

I have been rather lazy with my quiet times this year.  I have been rather lazy with a lot of things this year.  So I am appreciating the new life this "new to me" method of Bible study is infusing into my day.  My time starts with "S" for Scripture. Next I work on "O" for observation, followed by "A" for applications and "P" for prayer.  SOAP.  I love it!  It is not my idea but the study method I found through http://www.goodmorninggirls.org/.

For today it looks like this:
S- Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves.
Each of us is to please his neighbor for his good, to his edification.
For even Christ did not please Himself, but as it is written, "The reproaches of those who reproached You fell on Me."
For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.  -Romans 15:1-4

O- Being Christlike means I need to live not to please myself but my Father in heaven.  I am sitting here just trying to imagine what Jesus had to "bear" when He walked on earth dealing with we weak, weak, people.  I have lot's of patience when that weak person is a toddler, but grow them up and I fail miserably.
Verse 4 is my favorite-Through the Scriptures we are given encouragement and hope.  Makes me think of Psalm 119 which has always spoken to me about the person who seeks to know God through His word, and which just happens to be part of my Daily Bible reading for today:  "Happy are those who obey His decrees and search for Him with all their hearts. (v.2 NLT)  Oh that my actions would consistently reflect Your principles!  Then I will not be disgraced when I compare my life with Your commands" (vs.5-6)  "I have rejoiced in your decrees as much as in riches.   I will study Your commandments and reflect on Your ways.  I will delight in Your principles and not forget Your word." (vs. 14-16)

A-(Now for the hard part.)  Stop living for self-serving purposes.  Be patient, be patient, be patient with others.  And do not neglect that time in the Scripture- bring those words of Psalm 119 to life in my life.

P-Father God, I confess my failure to put others ahead of myself.  Father I so often serve my needs not You.  I seek forgiveness for my short-sightedness and ask that You open my eyes and heart; that You mold me more into the image of Your Son who came seeking to do Your will, not His own.  Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect your principles!

I hope by this you are encouraged to spend some time in the Scriptures today.  I will be praying that the Lord speaks to your heart as you look into His word.

Now I am off to the quilt studio- working on block number two of that baby quilt I started.  Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I like SOAP. I've used it for EMT class about 20 years ago. The Observation & Assessment was the same. I can't remember the others. I've been extremely lazy about EVERYTHING! So I can totally relate. :)