Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Rejoice, Give Thanks and Sing

It’s the first day of Thanksgiving break around here.  It’s quiet.  I did not expect that, but as our family grows up things change.  Our oldest is out on his own now.  Our youngest is house and dog sitting for friends.  It is just Ken and I.  So we slept in then walked out together to get the paper.  The sun was out and there was still dew on the roses.  I just cannot get over that one of my roses started blooming this past week.  All of the others are calling it quits for the season, and this one is just now blooming for the first time this year after surviving the worst drought and hottest summer in our regions history.  Sometimes survivors stand out particularly beautifully.


 This sight immediately brought to mind Grandma Payne's favorite old hymn: In the Garden by Charles Austin Miles.

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

Refrain

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

Refrain

I’d stay in the garden with Him
Thought he night around me be falling,
But He bids me go: through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.

Refrain

Miles once gave the background to this beautiful hymn in his own words:

“I read the story of the greatest morn in history.  The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, while it was yet very dark, unto the sepulcher.  Instantly, completely, there unfolded in my mind the scenes of the garden, where out of the mists comes a form, halting, hesitating, tearful, seeking, turning from side to side in bewildering amazement.”

“Falteringly, bearing grief in every accent, with tear-dimmed eyes, she whispers, ‘If Thou has borne Him hence.’”

“He speaks, and the sound of His voice is so sweet the birds hush their singing.  He said to her ‘Mary!’  Just one word and forgotten are the heartaches, the long dreary hours, all the past is blotted out in His presence.”


I had always just thought of this hymn as being about the quiet moments we spend with the Lord, but couple that with Mary’s Easter morning and it becomes so much more.

I read Romans 15:8-10 this morning while sipping a cup of coffee that my sweet husband made for me.  It was very fitting for this season.
“For I say that Christ has become a servant to the circumcision on behalf of the truth of God to confirm the promises given to the fathers, and for the Gentiles to glorify god for His mercy; as it is written, ‘Therefore I will give praise to You among the Gentiles, And I will sing to Your name.’  Again he says, ‘Rejoice O gentiles with His people.’”

We Gentiles have much reason to celebrate and be thankful.  Christ came for us too and through Him we glorify God for His mercy.  Which brings another old hymn to mind…

                      Rejoice! Rejoice!  Rejoice, Give thanks and sing!



http://www.goodmorninggirls.org/



Happy Thanksgiving dear friends,
Deb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song and always think of my grandparents, at whose knees I learned to sing it. I rarely sing out loud, but when I saw it this morning, I did. And I loved the further insight. I, like you, had always just thought of the morning with the Lord and me. But what a beautiful insight thinking of the first morning in The Garden. Happy Thanksgiving! Charlsa

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving!