Monday, November 28, 2011

Life on the Edge?!

We start a new study in our Sunday School class this week.  I had decided when I started writing my blog again that I would take whatever we were studying in class to use for my daily SOAP time.  I was so excited when I saw what we were studying!  Numbers, Deuteronomy: Life on the Edge.  Okay, that was not really my reaction.  It was more like, "Are you kidding me?!!"  I really wanted to jump into another part of Scripture this morning.  I read the passage for this week's lesson: Numbers 6:1-15.  BORING...I have no plans to take a Nazirite vow and I am definitely not giving up grapes or even vinegar.  Love my white balsamic on a salad.

But the title of the lesson kept drawing me back as I prayed about where to go in the Scriptures for my morning quiet times, Stay True to Your Commitments; Take Your Commitments Seriously.  Those ideas really resonated with me this morning.  As I have picked up writing again I am giving a lot of thought about what I want this blog to be, what I want to be as a writer and the things I want to avoid.  This blog is my commitment to follow the prodding of the Holy Spirit to get back to writing about my daily walk.  I want to take that seriously.  I desire to stay true to my commitment to the Lord in this venture.  Soooo maybe I should give this study a try with the SOAP method this morning and see how it goes.  Maybe the Lord can even speak to me through the book of Numbers.

S-Again the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
    "Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, 'When a man or woman makes a special vow, the vow of a Nazirite, to dedicate himself to the LORD,
    he shall abstain from wine and strong drink; he shall drink no vinegar, whether made from wine or strong drink, nor shall he drink any grape juice, nor eat fresh or dried grapes.
    All the days of his separation he shall not eat anything that is produced by the grape vine, the seeds even to the skin.  -Numbers 6:1-4 (NASB)

O- The LORD is instructing Moses.
   - This instruction applies to both men and women- women too can dedicate themselves to the LORD.

A-In dedicating myself to the LORD there are things I need to abstain from-not necessarily grape related, but  hmmm, this kind of follows the ideas from the last couple of weeks in Romans about not doing things that would hurt fellow believers.  I think there are also things that I should be aware of in what I watch, read, and listen to.  What things do I take part in as a woman dedicated to the Lord that I should abstain from?  There are some obvious lists that come to mind in the New Testament books.

P-Father God, forgive me for thinking that You could not possibly speak to me through Numbers. Instruct me as I read through this book, show me how to apply it's truths.  And Father, give me wisdom to discern which things I should abstain from; those things that would make my walk here on earth harder and the strength to follow through on what You reveal.


No comments: