Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Are You Listening?

My New Testament  reading for today was from Matthew 12.  The pharisees are at it again and Jesus responds to them this way, "But you would not have condemned those who aren't guilty if you knew the meaning of this Scripture: 'I want you to be merciful; I don't want your sacrifices.'"  You know, I read that somewhere else just recently.  Just last week, as a matter of fact, in Matthew 9:13.  Jesus was speaking to the pharisees that time too.  "Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: 'I want you to be merciful; I don't want your sacrifices.'"

It would appear that the pharisees did not do what Jesus instructed them.  The Scripture He tells them to learn is from Hosea 6:6 where the LORD says of His people  "I want you to be merciful; I don't want your sacrifices.  I want you to know God; that's more important than burnt offerings."  The book of Hosea is a pleading from the prophet for the people to know God.  "Oh, that we might know the LORD!  Let us press on to know Him!"  -Hosea 6:3, NLT  He says very pointedly to the priests of the time, "Don't point your finger at someone else and try to pass the blame!  Look, you priests, my complaint is with you!" -Hosea 4:4, NLT I am pretty sure the pharisees would have been very familiar with this book.  But for all their knowledge it could be said of them, "My people are being destroyed because they do not know me." -Hosea 4:6.

I can store up all kinds of knowledge about the Bible, quote verses from memory, go to church every Sunday, do all the right things, and still miss knowing the LORD.  I need more than knowledge, I need understanding.  I strongly believe that understanding only comes when I spend time meditating on the verses I have read.  When I spend time praying about how to apply God's Word to my life.  When I spend time searching the Scriptures to learn more about God.  When I, like Mary, spend time sitting at His feet and listening to His Word, not just reading it, but really listening to what God is saying to me.


Grace, Peace, and Mercy,
Deb

1 comment:

GrammaGrits said...

Deb, I read someone recently who said they would have made a good Pharisee, and sadly, I had to admit so would I! I love rules and tend to be critical and judge. That's one part of my heart God is working on! Blessings.