Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Faith that Moves Mountains



I consider myself a student of prayer.  Like the disciples before me I have asked the Lord to teach me to pray; so whenever I come to verses like those in Matthew today I stop and ponder.  These are not new to me, but I still struggle with them.  Upon coming to a fig tree that had no fruit Jesus caused it to wither on the spot and He tells the disciples, "I assure you, if you have faith and don't doubt, you can do things like this and much more.  You can even say to this mountain, 'May God lift you up and throw you into the sea,' and it will happen.  If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.  (Matt. 21:21-22, NLT1)

Believe and receive. It sounds so simple. Just last week I read another passage from Matthew, "I assure you, even if you have faith as small as a mustard seed you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move.  Nothing would be impossible." (Matt. 17:20, NLT1)  So it does not take much faith, just a teeny bit.  Makes me wonder what Jesus would say to me today, "Why do you doubt and not believe?"

There are some mountains out there that I would love to "throw into the sea," but no matter how much I pray for them to be gone they still loom large.  I wonder if the problem is in me and my lack of faith.  If I ask myself whether or not God can conquer cancer, I give a resounding yes.  So why do I have friends whose children are not being healed?  Why is there not victory for every one of them?  Why did a family have to bury their sweet little boy last week?  I know the "pat" answers, but I don't want the pat answers.  I want those mountains completely gone from their lives.  The more I know of God, the more I believe that He can do this, He wants to do this.  He is the God who lavishes His love upon us.  I've seen Him do the impossible in the past.  I've heard the triumphant stories.   And the only conclusion I have come to so far is that I have no formula for success but to pray. Oh, that my faith would unleash His great power!


“A man is powerful on his knees.” --Corrie Ten Boon

 "Prayer does not fit us for the greater work; prayer is the greater work."-- Oswald Chambers


Grace, Peace, and Mercy,
Deb

No comments: